Bento Takeout @ Niwa Sushi

Lately I've been obsessing with charaben (read: cutesy Japanese packed lunch). Check out Bento Central for "anything and everything you need to know about bento". Actually I was led to this site when I was browsing all the lovely bento pictures at Adventures in Bentomaking. Looking at all the beautiful pictures made me crave for my very own bento.

Before I can start making my very own, I bought one for lunch at Niwa Sushi. Never mind their site though, apparently it's still under construction. I'm not sure if this is a newly set up sushi place, but the one I went to is located at the end of CityLink, very near the exit towards Suntec. They are having a 10% discount during lunch time 12noon to 2pm.

I was a little disappointed with the service when they couldn't be a bit more flexible since I was there on the dot. 2pm that is. They informed me that their cashier clock showed that it was already over 2pm.



I ordered the Sake Teriyaki Bento. At $5.10, it is relatively affordable, almost comparable to those "Japanese cuisine" you find in some foodcourts. Portion was rather big too.

I was rather amused to find a few stalks of cauliflower and broccoli on my rice. That said, they were pretty nice. Soft and not too bland. The rice, though, doesn't really taste like Japanese rice. So, the teriyaki sauce and the few sesame seeds didn't really go so well with it. In fact, it felt kinda like Chinese mixed rice all dressed up as Japanese bento.

The salmon was nothing fantastic. The teriyaki sauce was slightly too sweet for my liking. The round yellow thing is actually mashed potato topped with a bit of ebiko. It was my favourite in the bento. The green thing is actually seasoned seaweed. Not exactly like the wakame you find in miso soup but more stringy. It was rather appetizing and almost made up for the too sweet salmon. Oh, and did I mention that the rice portion was huge?

Considering the price I paid for this, and the 5min waiting time, I won't really mind going back again and try out their other bento sets.



Actually, other than bento, they do have a rather wide range of sushi and sashimi for you to choose from. I was craving for some nice maki. As you can see, the maki is loaded with ebiko, salmon and avocado, all my favourites rolled up in one!

The Sake Avocado Maki costs $2.60. Pay $2 more and you'll probably get a much more decent meal at a foodcourt. But don't mind me. I'm going through a stingy phase. Plus, the avocado was kinda too gooey for my liking. By itself, it is pretty ok. Nothing to rave about. With the grated wasabi, the whole thing tasted funny! The wasabi was in a too bright green colour, but I overlooked it, since it's supposedly grated wasabi with radish mixed in. But it tasted all funny I decided to go without.

How I miss Japan and all the lovely food you can find there! Even an onigiri from Family Mart or Lawson taste so much more delicious and cost so much cheaper!

0 ♥ comments:

Post a Comment